The department publishes processing time service standards which it aims to process 75 per cent of cases within. Actual processing times may vary depending on a range of factors. For further information please refer to the link below.
Current processing times
The table below advises the anticipated processing times for applications lodged at the London office. Processing times are indicative only. Processing times for individual cases may vary depending on individual circumstances and the complexity of each case.
You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or unsuccessful.
We advise clients to ensure that they leave sufficient time between lodging their application and when they intend to travel. We are not always in a position to expedite applications solely on the basis of urgent travel.
Our processing times are currently as follow:
- Visitor visa - up to 2 months
- Temporary Work Short Stay Activity - between 5 working days and 1 month
- Transit - up to 7 working days
- Working Holiday Maker - initial response within 7 working days
- Student - between 14 working days and 3 months
- Other Temporary Visas - between 2 and 3 months
Permanent Visa Applications
- Resident Return - within 7 working days
- Partner Migration - 10 to 14 months
- Child Migration and adoption - 8 to 12 months
- Orphan Relative - 8 to 12 months
- Extended Eligibility Child (subclass 445) - 8 to 12 months
- Aged Dependent Relative - capped and queued, see: www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Fami
- Remaining Relative - capped and queued, see: www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Fami
- Carer - capped and queued, see: www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Fami
- Registration of Citizenship by Descent - processing time can vary between 1 and 4 weeks.