Australian High Commission
United Kingdom
Australia House, London


Translation of documents

All documents that are not written in English must be translated into English by an accredited translator (this includes all identity documents and proof of address). Multilingual documents that include English do not need to be translated. You must provide:

(a) the translation of the original document and a photocopy of this document; and

(b) either the original document or a certified copy of the original document.

Certification of documents

Visa Applications

For visa applications lodged at the London office, if you are required to provide a police clearance, you must provide the original document.

If you are required to provide a statutory declaration, you must provide the original statutory declaration and a copy of the photo ID of the person making the statutory declaration, but this does not need to be certified.

For other documents, please do not send originals unless you are requested by your case officer to do so. There is no requirement that documents are certified when you lodge your application. If your case officer requires an original copy or a certified copy, they will contact you directly.

Citizenship by Descent Applications

You must provide either original or certified copies of documents for citizenship by descent. For further information on the documents which must be lodged with your application, please . If you are required to provide a police clearance, you must provide the original document.

The following professionals can certify documents in Australia, UK and Ireland. Only documents certified by these professions will be accepted.

  • Practising lawyer
  • Magistrate
  • Public notary
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Position/agency recognised by the law of the country to certify documents
  • Solicitor
  • Magistrate
  • Notary Public
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits
  • Solicitor
  • Notary Public
  • Peace Commissioner