Australian High Commission
United Kingdom

PPT Name Changes


Name Changes

Original documents linking your name changes must be supplied and an English translation if required. Proof of citizenship must be supplied with your application in addition to your name change document.


Scenario A - married in Australia

You must provide the marriage certificate issued by the Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM), not the certificate issued by the marriage celebrant. To apply for an RBDM certificate click here;

Australian marriage certificates issued by a marriage celebrant or religious leader are not acceptable for passport purposes. 


Scenario B - born in Australia but married outside of Australia

You will need to register a change of name with RBDM in the Australian state or territory of your birth and obtain a name change certificate or revised birth certificate. You must also provide your original overseas marriage certificate with the passport application. Australian born applicants can not change their name on their Australian passport until their new name has been registered with RBDM. To apply for an RBDM certificate click here;

Applicants born in Australia can not use a foreign marriage, foreign name change or Deed Poll certificate to change their name on their Australian passport. All applicants born in Australia must register their new name with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in the state or territory of birth.

Scenario C - born outside of Australia, married outside of Australia and normally reside outside of Australia

Your foreign marriage or foreign change of name certificate must be legalised by the country of issue.

If you were married in the UK, you must send your original marriage certificate to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO). To find out how to do this, click here;

If you were married outside of the UK and Australia you should contact the Embassy or Consulate of the country of issue to obtain information on how to legalise this document.

If you were born outside of Australia your overseas marriage certificate must be legalised by the issuing country.

Scenario D - born outside of Australia, reside outside Australia and have changed your name by UK deed poll

You will need to follow these two steps;

1. Have the document ‘certified’ by either a solicitor or a notary public

2. You then must have this legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)

To find out how to do this, click here;

If eligible to use a UK deed poll to change your name, this must be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

Scenario E - reverting to a former name, such as after a divorce

If you revert to a former family name after divorcing, you must present document(s) that link your current name and that previous name, such as a marriage certificate along with the divorce certificate.

If you are born in Australia and obtained an RBDM name change document or revised RBDM birth certificate and you now wish to revert to a previous name or birth name, you must apply for a name change document or revised birth certificate with RBDM to reflect your current name.

If you are born outside of Australian and hold an Australian citizenship certificate, you can only revert to the name that is on your citizenship certificate. If you obtained Australian citizenship in a married name, have divorced and wish to use your birth name, you will need to either apply for a new Australian citizenship certificate or apply for a UK Deed Poll (see scenario D for more information).

Use a name that appeared in your most recent Australian passport 


Change of name – fee waiver

If you are applying for a new passport and you have changed your name as a result of:

• entering or ceasing to be in a registered or de facto relationship; or
• as a result of transitioning to another gender; and
• your passport was valid when the event leading to this change occurred, your replacement passport may be issued free of charge with the same expiry date as the passport being replaced.

 More Information regarding name changes from the Australian Passport Office Web Site