Welcome to the website of the Migration Branch of the Australian High Commission in London. We are an overseas office of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). We service clients who are usually resident in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Ukraine.
You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or unsuccessful.
Important Changes - November 2016
From 18 November 2016, a number of significant changes will take place to Australia's immigration and citizenship legislation, as well as upgrade to our systems.
More comprehensive information can be found at www.border.gov.au, but a summary of these changes follows:
On 19 November 2016, reforms will be made to the temporary visa framework. This means that, from 19 November 2016, the following visas will be closed to new applications:
• Subclass 401 Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa
• Subclass 402 Training and Research visa
• Subclass 416 Special Program visa
• Subclass 420 Temporary Work (Entertainment) visa
• Subclass 488 Superyacht Crew visa.
These visas will be incorporated within the following temporary activity visa framework:
• Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa
• Subclass 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa
• Subclass 407 Training visa
• Subclass 408 Temporary Activity visa.
The new framework is designed to make applying for a temporary visa easier. Further information on these changes can be found on our department’s website, at: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/temporary-activity-visa-changes
What will change from 18 November 2016?
Sponsors of Partner and Prospective Marriage visa applications who lodge a visa application on or after 18 November 2016 will be required to:
• Provide Australian and/or foreign police checks to the department when requested; and
• Consent to the department disclosing their convictions for relevant offences to the visa applicant(s).
Further information is available on our department's website at www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/sponsor-requirements
Several enhancements and updates will be made in ImmiAccount, including the following:
Expansion of online lodgement for e600
- eForm: Additional declarations and dynamic document checklist
- Longer validity: option for parents to request longer validity and removal of parents/children relationship questions
- UN Laisser-Passer (UNLP) holders: will be allowed to lodge online applications for the Tourist adn Business Visitor streams
- Chinese Passport holders: will be able to apply online for Visitor Visas (e600)
Evidence of Citizenship online application
- eForm 119: Evidence of Australian citizenship form will be available online and application can be made through ImmiAccount
Applicants who have completed three months (88 days) of work on their first Work and Holiday visa in specific industries in specific areas of Australia will be able to apply for a second Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462). The work must have been undertaken after the commencement of the new regulations (18/11/2016).
The work must have been undertaken in the specific area defined as the Northern Australia region, which includes all of the Northern Territory, and those parts of Western Australia and Queensland above the Tropic of Capricorn).
Second Work and Holiday applications need to be lodged online or sent directly to the onshore processing centre in Brisbane, regardless of client location.
More information on the Work and Holiday Maker visa is available on the department's website, http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/462-
Australia has simplified its student visa framework. It has been designed to make the process of applying for a student visa simpler to navigate for students.
From 1 July 2016:
- international students will apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study
- student guardians will apply for the new Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)
- all students and student guardians will generally be required to lodge their visa application online by creating an account in ImmiAccount.
For more information, please click here.
Immigration and Citizenship
Our Department is committed to building more efficient and effective ways of delivering accessible services through the use of digital channels as our default form of delivery.
As such, you can complete a number of services online without needing to contact the department directly. This includes: