Applying by post – PC7 adult renewals
Passports are currently subject to a 6 week processing time from the payment stage, including for mailed-in applications.
You should post your application via tracked delivery.
Your payment will be processed when your application has progressed to the relevant stage of the process. Once payment is taken you will receive an itemised receipt via email.
Please refer to the Emergency Passport section HERE should you have urgent travel booked in the next six weeks.
We thank you for your patience and understanding, and look forward to you receiving your new Australian passport in due course.
For a renewal, you must be 18 years and over and you will need a passport that:
- was issued when you were aged 16 or older, AND
- was issued on or after 1 January 2006, AND
- had, when it was issued, at least two years’ validity, AND
- has your current name, date of birth, place of birth and gender, AND
- has not been reported lost, stolen, or cancelled.
If you don’t meet these criteria, you’ll need to book an appointment to lodge your application in person.
Please click HERE for a PC7 mail-in checklist that outlines the below.
You must provide the following:
- A completed renewal application form HERE, dated within six months of lodgement, checking that:
- Section 5 of the form is signed and dated
- Your signature is kept inside the white box with no alterations or ‘whiteout’ on the signature or the date
- Your application form is valid, make sure your review the expiration date at the top of form
- Your form is printed correctly with no sections missing or cut-off
- Your place of birth is exactly the same as your previous passport
- A completed payment authorisation form HERE, you can review our passport fees list HERE
- Two Australian standard passport photos, less than six months old, with your full name written on the back of one photo
- You can refer to our photo guidelines
- Do not attach the photos to the form, leave them loose in the envelope
PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT SEND IN ANY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS OR YOUR CURRENT/EXPIRED PASSPORT.
It is very important that your signature is included on your application in strict accordance with the guidelines.
Your entire signature must be kept inside the white box provided on the form. If it is not, we can't process your form and your application will be delayed.
Your signature must be dated within six months of lodgement and must be in BLACK INK. If it is not, we can't process your form and your application will be delayed.
Do NOT alter your signature or the date. Do NOT use white out on your signature or the date. If there are errors on your application or it was dated more than six months before lodgement, you will need to reprint the form - taking care to sign and date it accurately.
Please note payment will be taken in Australian Dollars (AUD) (subject to exchange rates and any overseas transaction fees) for mailed in applications.
It takes 6-8 weeks to process your passport. Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be delayed until they are complete.
If you need your passport in less than six weeks, you may be eligible for an Emergency Passport. Evidence of urgency (e.g. travel itinerary, visa appointment confirmation or letter for your employer) is required. For further information click HERE
When you’ve completed your application, send your application by Royal Mail Tracked to:
Australian High Commission
LONDON WC2B 4LA
It is important that you:
- Do NOT send your application by courier service
- Do NOT hand-deliver your application to the High Commission
- Mark your envelope with ‘URGENT PASSPORT’ if you are seeking an Emergency Passport
- Do NOT fold your application, and use an A4 envelope
- Do NOT use staples, paper clips or anything else that may damage your photos.