Australian High Commission
United Kingdom
Australia House, London

Consular Services

Measures have been put in place to assess the individual circumstances of our consular clients to ensure we are able to support them under difficult and unprecedented circumstances while protecting our staff and visitors and adhering to UK government guidelines.

The Australian Government’s Smartraveller advice is DO NOT TRAVEL, unless you wish to return to Australia, in which case you should do as soon as possible.

Consular Office

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) provides consular services to Australians facing serious difficulties overseas in line with the Consular Services Charter. This includes:

  • Assisting Australian citizens in difficult situations overseas, including serious injury, illness or death, and arrest and detention.

  • Providing support during crises and international emergencies.

  • Delivering information and advice to help Australians help themselves and avoid difficulties overseas.

  • Issuing passports and travel documents to Australian citizens.

  • Offering a limited range of notarial services, such as witnessing and legalising documents and administering oaths and affirmations (fees apply).

The Consular Services Charter outlines the consular assistance that may be provided to Australians overseas, and a range of tasks that are outside the consular role.

If you require consular assistance while in the UK you can contact the Australian High Commission, Consular Office in London between 9am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday on 020 7887 5776. Alternatively, you can email us at: [email protected] - we will not respond to any emails or phone messages regarding Australian or UK visa matters.

The Consular Office cannot assist with matters relating to foreign or Australian visas, citizenship or residency matters. This includes citizenship by decent, spousal visas, or checking any application lodged with the Australian Department of Home Affairs Department. Information on contacting the Department of Home Affairs in London can be found here.

If you require assistance outside of business hours, or on a weekend you can call the Consular Emergency Centre, which is operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, on +61 2 6261 3305. Alternatively for the cost of a local call you can dial 020 7379 4334 and selection option 3.

We also answer many frequently asked questions in our FAQ page.

Security at the Australian High Commission

Security screening is in operation at the Australian High Commission in London and is similar to airport screening. To minimise wait times we ask that you do not bring large bags or accessories with you. Generally, the office is busiest between 9am – 12 midday and there may be a queue to get through security.

"The Australian High Commission does not have public restrooms or baby changing facilities."