Australian High Commission
United Kingdom
Australia House, London

Changing the name and/or gender in your passport

Changing the name and/or gender in your passport

If you want to change the name and/or gender from that in your most recent passport, you will need to lodge the Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form. You cannot name change your name and/or gender using the Australian Passport Renewal Application form.

You will need to lodge your application in person if you are making a change to your name and/or gender since your last passport was issued.


How to change the name in your passport

If you have changed your name since birth or acquiring citizenship, you may need to provide additional documents in order to have a passport in your new name. Please note that you will still need to provide either an original Australian birth certificate or original Australian citizenship certificate in addition to your original name change document.

Please select the option that applies to you:


How to change the gender marker in your passport

The gender markers that we use in Australian passports are: M (male), F (female) and X (non-binary/indeterminate/intersex/unspecified/other). If you want to change the marker from that in your previous passport (or for first time applicants, change the marker from that on your evidence of citizenship) please follow the instructions HERE