How to apply for a passport
There are two types of application forms:
1. Australian Passport Renewal Application form:
This is a one-page application form for adults whose previous passport:
- was issued when you were aged 16 or older;
- was issued on or after 1 January 2006;
- when it was issued, it had at least two years’ validity;
- has your current name, date of birth, place of birth and gender; AND
- has not been reported lost, stolen, or cancelled.
If you meet the above criteria for an adult renewal, you can lodge your application by post:
2. Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form:
This is a five-page application form for all applicants who do not meet the requirements for the above renewal form, including:
- All child applications
- First adult applications
- Adult renewal applications where the previous passport was issued prior to 2006
- Name and/or gender change applications
- Replacing an emergency or limited validity passport
- Replacing a lost or stolen passport
If you meet the following criteria for a child renewal, you can lodge your application by mail:
the child is aged under 16 years old; AND
has previously held an Australian passport.
All other applications must be lodged in person and by appointment only.
Step by step instructions
You will need to create an account first. When you have completed your application online, you will need to print it.
2. Sign and date your form.
Make sure all sections are signed in BLACK ink before your interview. Signatures are only valid for six months. Passport staff cannot witness signatures. Check there are no alterations to signatures or dates. Applications containing white out or liquid paper cannot be accepted.
3. Obtain two passport photos.
Carefully check the photo specifications as poor quality photos are the most common reason applications are rejected or put on hold. Photos must be taken within the last six months.
4. Prepare to lodge your application.
Review the required documents for your application and go through the relevant checklist to avoid common errors. Check the requirements for name changes, translation of foreign documents and guarantors.
5. Lodge your application (see links above)
Only adult renewal applications and child renewal applications (under 16 years) can be lodged by mail.
All other applications must be lodged in person and by appointment only - please book an appointment HERE.
For child applications lodged in person, one parent must lodge the application. It does not matter whether the lodging person is an Australian citizen. Children up to 15 years old are not required to attend the interview.
Children aged 16 and 17 years old must attend the interview, together with one parent.